hip hop dance moves. The grooves are so fun and it’s the best dance style to do socially. It never gets old and it works with all types of songs. It’s even a great dance workout style too. There are basic hip hop dance moves and there are iconic moves. These iconic dance moves have stood the test of time and will always be part of the dance floor.I love my 90’s
Fave Old School Hip Hop Dance MovesEvery hip hop dance move you see nowadays all stems from Old School Hip Hop. That’s the beauty of dance, it evolves from one move to another. So here are 5 iconic hip hop dance moves you need to know:
1. The PrepYou gotta groove with your attitude when you’re doing The Prep. This is all about your upper body– arms and shoulders. What I love about this move is that you really get to play with it in terms of energy, levels and speed. The possibility is endless in personalizing this move.
2. The Cabbage PatchEverybody has done the Cabbage Patch one time or another! It’s one of the most recognizable hip hop dance move that came from the 90’s. It came from a song called The Cabbage Patch from the 80’s and it just took off. And can you blame me for loving this move? It’s just so fun and silly and as you can see below, you can make it work for you! This move uses your legs, arms and core so keep the Cabbage Patch alive!
3. The Running ManThe Running Man aka The Hungry Caterpillar originated in the late 80’s, but thanks to Miss Janet Jackson, everyone embraced it in the 90’s. This is a really good cardio move that’s easy, but you really feel the burn on your legs and even your arms. Give it a try and if you really want to get into it, put on Rhythm Nation and pretend like you’re part of the music video!
4. The Humpty DanceThis is a personal fave. If you haven’t heard the song yet, please do yourself a favor and click here. Now that you’re all caught up, this song is MY JAM. I love when Ashley incorporates this move in her Old School Hip Hop workouts. You criss cross your legs and then in a squat, thrust like there’s no tomorrow. It’s the silliest dance, but you work on your legs and your core.
5. The ButterflyNow this is the mother of hip hop dance moves– The Butterfly. You’ll see other genres use this as well because you can do so much with this hip hop dance move. You bring in one knee towards the other and vice versa. It’s real easy to add personal flare with your arms and upper body. If you do this move long enough, your legs will be feeling the burn, baby!
Download Our 7 Day Dance And Detox And Learn Hip Hop Dance MovesFor our 7 Day Dance And Detox Challenge, you get to try 4 premium dance workouts from our studio FREE! The complete challenge includes:
- 7 days of dance workouts
- hip hop class with Nicole
- build muscle through resistance training
- 11 healthy recipes that help give your metabolism a boost
- Meal-by-meal plan
- A supportive community of women and more…