One of the challenges in our 28-Day Grateful Dancer plan is to write myself a Thank You note. This one was REALLY hard. Growing up, my parents were both very accomplished. My mom was the first doctor in her family and got all the highest marks in class. My dad was one of the most well-known dentists in our hometown. To say that there was high expectations of me was putting it lightly. I was expected to have good grades and do well in almost everything I do. Failure was not an option. I always felt like I had to be the best at everything to gain my parents love and affection.
I believe that this is why thanking myself does not come naturally to me. I have a preconceived notion of where I think I need to be before I believe I personally deserve the praise and thanks so because I often feel like I’m not there yet, I don’t thank myself. Today is the day I want to change this. I want to create a habit of expressing gratitude for myself so that I can summon and attract it in my life.
What you seek is seeking you. – Rumi
Dear Charlene,We’ve been through so much together and you’ve been so strong. Today I want to honor you and give you all the appreciation you deserve!
- Thank you for taking risks. When you decided to follow your heart and go for a Business / Communications degree when everyone expected you to study medicine. When you decided to leave your friends, relatives and memories in the Philippines and start a new life in the United States. Every time you’ve decided to look for a new job. Every time you decided to ask for a raise. When you decided at 36 to change careers completely and start over and build a new business with Hip Shake Fitness. Every single risk has made our life so full and dynamic.
- Thank you for learning to dance your heart out. There have been times when people judge you because of how you look or how you move and you have learned to let go of what people say and listen to your own heart. To dance because it makes you happy and it connects you body to your heart and your soul.
- Thank you for gaining confidence in yourself. You’ve evolved from this shy, awkward kid with a tooth gap, chin cup and very low self-esteem to a well-adjusted woman in her late 30’s who loves her personal journey.
- Thank you for being vulnerable. For opening up to others about your failures and heartaches. I know how much heartbreak you’ve encountered going through years of fertility treatments with your husband with no light at the end of the tunnel but a realization of what’s important and what your life priorities are.
- Thank your failing. For all those times when you didn’t pass a test. When you didn’t get the job. When what you thought was going to work for the business didn’t. Every single time you fail you’ve learned how to do it better next time.
- Thank you for getting things done. Even when things aren’t perfect, you keep going. You keep pushing to get things done. To keep improving as you go along. To never give up. THIS is what life is all about!
- Thank you for supporting other women. Your own personal experiences of overcoming challenges has led you to a life of supporting others who are going through their own challenges. You’ve realized that seeing others, especially women, succeed leads to your happiness. In supporting others, you’ve supported yourself.
Download Our 7 Day Kickstart Challenge To Get Started On Your Dance Journey NOWFor our 7 Day Kickstart Challenge, you get to try dance workouts, recipes and more from our studio FREE for 7 days! The complete challenge includes:
- 7 Days of Dance & Toning Workouts from our studio
- Recipes that help give your metabolism a boost
- Meal-by-meal guide
- A supportive community of women and more…