Twerk Classes For Preggy MamasI’ve been very active before my pregnancy and wanted to keep that lifestyle even with a baby on the way. Of course, I had to make sure with my doctor and got the green light to workout before even going full out. When I finally did, I turned to our twerk queen, Nicole for my dance workouts.
We shot our twerk classes with Nicole on my second trimester and it was so fun, but also had challenges that came with it. The crew made sure I was comfortable, hydrated and Nicole made sure I knew how to twerk with modifications for the more bouncier or harder moves. I’m so proud of myself for completing our dance shoot and thinking about it keeps me empowered and inspired to keep this healthy lifestyle up til the little one comes out. He’ll probably come out dancing 🙌🏼
Our twerk classes start with booty toning workouts and ends in a super fun twerk choreography. Be part of this twerk revolution and checkout new twerk workouts on our instagram and tag #hipshaker on your posts so we can give you some love 💜
1. Do you exercise regularly while pregnant? what kind of workouts do you do?We got pregnant via IVF so I knew right away when I was “pregnant” or rather when the embryo implanted. The first 2 weeks after the embryo transfer and before the blood tests to see if we were pregnant I didn’t do much just made sure I walked a lot. When we found out that we got a positive test, I only did very low impact activities like walking or swimming because I was still worried about a miscarriage. After we saw the heartbeat which was probably around 6 weeks, I went back to my dance workouts with Hip Shake Fitness. I just didn’t do any jumping. Since then I have been working out 4-5 times a week. Mostly dance workouts but I’ve also added yoga once a week.
2. Do you think working out is safe for pregnant moms?First off, you should definitely check with your doctor and get an OK to workout when your pregnant. Not all pregnancies are the same. I’ve got a ton of friends who had complications during their pregnancy and they were advised to not do a lot of physical activity. I am very grateful that I’ve had an easy pregnancy so far and haven’t had any complications. It seems counter-intuitive but the official advice from The American College Of Obstetricians and Gynecologists is that physical activity does not increase your risk of miscarriage, low birth weight, or early delivery. They suggest 30 minutes of physical activity for women daily. Personally, since I workout regularly, on days when I don’t I get really antsy so having a regular workout schedule keeps me grounded and helps me sleep better too.
3. What modifications have you made since you’ve been pregnant?I don’t do too many jumps now. If a move requires jumping, I’ll just change it to a step by step. I also try not to put weight on my stomach so I don’t do any cobra stretches. I’ve replaced those with cat / cow poses. Since I’m on my 5th month of pregnancy now it’s not advisable to lay on my back. Being on my back puts pressure on a main vein in my body and can cause complications. If there’s any workout that’s on the back, I’ll do the same workout while kneeling or if it’s a leg lift I’ll use a chair.
4. Do you think twerk dancing is a safe workout for pregnant women?YESSSSS girl! I personally love twerking whether I’m pregnant or not. I find the moves so empowering. I think it’s because I grew up with a smaller butt and twerking makes me feel really sexy and empowered when I’m moving my butt. So #1 it’s empowering and makes you feel sexy and every pregnant woman should feel sexy! Secondarily butt workouts are great for pregnant women. It supposedly helps us develop similar muscles needed to give birth. So tone n twerk is definitely my workout of choice while pregnant since it’s booty workouts combined with twerk dance!
pregnant woman should feel sexy
5. how did you feel after doing the twerk shoot with Nicole?I was a bit worried because I’ve never done a shoot while pregnant and of course, Nicole added a pushup twerk which was really intimidating because it looked really hard. However, after I completed the dance workout I felt so good afterwards coz heeeey this preggy mama can still twerk! Eeeeeeeeyyyyyy.
6. Got any advice for other pregnant moms to be looking to do dance fitness?I love dancing and working out at the same time. It’s fun, makes me feel free and most of all feminine! One of the things about being pregnant is that It can be harder to feel good about your body especially because you feel bloated. Dance workouts help me feel empowered and ready to take on the world. Don’t be afraid to let it go preggy mama! We’re in this together.
Checkout how I handled a 10 hour shoot with my baby bump in tow
Twerk Classes Online Anytime, AnywhereLearn how to twerk and access all Tone N Twerk workouts with Nicole anytime. We’re your go-to on-demand dance workouts and we’re open 24 hours, 365 days a year!
Download Our 6 Day Hip Hop Reboot And Try Your First Twerk Class OnlineFor our 6 Day Hip Hop Reboot, you get to try 4 premium dance workouts from our studio FREE! The complete challenge includes:
- 6 days of hip hop fitness dance workouts
- twerk classes from Nicole
- build muscle through resistance training
- 9 healthy recipes that help give your metabolism a boost
- Meal-by-meal plan
- A supportive community of women and more…