Health & Wellness With Diane
1. What’s the first thing you do in the morning?I would love to say meditate, but really first, I make coffee. Always dark roast with almond milk. Been buying Pete’s Organic lately. AMAZING!!! Only one cup, but really strong. Then, I can meditate and clear my body of any unnecessary energy. I have become a morning person, and love the time before my kids and husband wake-up when it’s quiet and I can get focused for the day. I do take time for gratitude. And I find the more I do it, the easier it is to feel.
2. What’s a usual day look like for you?Everyday is a little different, but typically I get the kids off to school and then teach two hours of classes. If I am lucky, I get to take a class too or do a Hip Shake Class in between laundry and dishes. My house is never really clean. I always try and never finish all my “homework.” Oh well! Why can we not have an extra hour or two each day? I spend the afternoons throughout the week being a MOM– taking the kids to Ballet, Baseball, Piano, Hebrew School, Writer’s Workshop, Theater, Boy Scouts and Girl Scout, volunteering in their schools and trying to keep up on homework. By dinner time, we are all exhausted and doing bedtime routine. I make my kids bathe every night, me too. Helps us wind down and smell better when we snuggle.
3. What is your usual workout routine?FIVE days on, TWO days off each week – in any order. I like to get through at least 1 Barre Class for three days, and 2 or 3 Trampoline Classes depending on the week. We need CARDIO and SCULPTING to see results. If I have a big event, I work on arms for two-weeks prior and see results. I make sure I am drinking at least 50 oz of water each day and eating as clean as I can. Fresh foods like vegetables, fruits, lean organic meats, some carbs so I have energy to walk and teach and supplements for Calcium and Probiotics.
4. When I workout I wear…Clothes that make me happy, I would rather buy leggings than jeans. I love ALO everything, but splurge on leg warmers and jackets, Free People Movement is my go-to for body suites and Onzie Sets with matching tops and bottoms make my heart so happy. I just discovered a new company Niyoma Sol that use recycled plastic water bottles to make their clothes. AMAZING!!!
5. What’s your favorite workout? Fave workout to teach?Barre is, has and always will be MY FAVORITE workout, not only to teach but to do!!! Before Barre, I struggled to stay on a treadmill for more than 5 minutes. I got bored before I hit the first mile on a run. I was never a fan of exercise, it was always a chore. Something I knew I should do, but I never wanted to. Barre changed everything for me.
6. What does ‘wellness’ mean to you?Staying positive and surrounding myself with positive energy and action is the key to wellness for me. We all need to vent from time to time, but it can become a slippery slope of negative and just like the flu, very contagious if we are around it too much. So, I crave positive people and appreciate them. Finding time for gratitude, first thing in the day- with or without coffee is the best workout for our brains. And studies show that if we start the day from a positive place, it is easier to be more positive throughout the day. Happiness is wellness for me! I feel most powerful and inspired when I am happy and seeing people make the world better with LOVE and LIGHT.
7. How do you stay balanced?
Honestly, we are all on the teeter totter. I mostly feel balanced when I have time for FAMILY, FRIENDS, FITNESS and FUN! My Mom lives 7 minutes from me, and without her help with my kids, the last two items fall off the teeter totter. But, it is always a balancing act -something I manage, not fix. Just when I think I have it down, something gets thrown out of whack, life is always a test. I would love to say I am totally balanced in life, but that would be a total lie. I find it important to dance through the fire often…
8. What part of your body do you love to tone?ARMS- WHY? It was the first result I saw when I first started doing barre. This summer I gave myself an arms challenge and went from 2 pounds to 3 pounds for triceps and shoulders and from 3 pound weights to 4 pounds for biceps. It made a huge difference. I am not going back.
9. Favorite nourishing meal?Can I say chocolate chip cookies? Oh, nourishing. Roasted Salmon and Brussel Sprouts, lemon juice, a pinch of salt and pepper and tiny dribble of olive oil. Cook 35 minutes at 425, yum!!! With single ingredient soup as an appetizer. Pumpkin or Butternut Squash, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and full much quicker.
10. Best way to unwind?I play Mahjong with a group of really great girlfriends. We’ve been playing together for almost three years, it’s like a book club. The game is always challenging and different, makes my brain work in a totally different way.
11. What’s the last thing you do at night?SNUGGLE. I put my kids to bed, read and cuddle with each of them and tell them how much I love them! It’s really mushy, I know. But, I’ll take it as long as they allow it. Usually, I am so exhausted I fall asleep too for about 5 minutes and then head to bed, but sometimes, I wake-up an hour later and forget where I am.
Upper Body Barre WorkoutWorkout with Diane and her fave style– barre and tone your upper body! Get the full 30 minute barre workout when you become a dance studio member.
Download Our 7 Day Kickstart Challenge To Get Started On Your Dance Journey NOWFor our 7 Day Kickstart Challenge, you get to try dance workouts from our studio FREE for 7 days! The complete challenge includes:
- 7 Days of Dance & Toning Workouts from our studio
- including a barre workout with Diane
- Recipes that help give your metabolism a boost
- Meal-by-meal guide
- A supportive community of women and more…